ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Regarding the Nairobi Board Resolution

  • To: "'Kurt Pritz'" <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Regarding the Nairobi Board Resolution
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:41:05 -0400

Kurt,

While I personally have no problem with the Nairobi resolution appearing in
DAG#4, I find ICANN's refusal (Board/Staff) to answer legitimate questions
put forward in good faith from this group deeply troubling on many levels.

First, the ICANN Board in connection with its Nairobi resolution changed the
status quo, by imposing zero cross ownership. Under Paragraph 4 of the
Affirmation of Commitments (AoC) "ICANN commits to perform and publish
analyses of the positive and negative effects of its decisions on the
public, including any financial impact on the public, and the positive or
negative impact (if any) on the systemic security, stability and resiliency
of the DNS."  Additionally, Paragraph 7 imposed upon ICANN a commitment to
"to provide a thorough and reasoned explanation of decisions taken, the
rationale thereof and the sources of data and information on which ICANN
relied."

Now as the ICANN Board is well aware there are a number of commercial
interests that are potentially negatively impacted as a result of the
Nairobi resolution.  To date I have seen no data or information upon which
ICANN relied upon in passing this resolution. If it does exist can ICANN
please provide me a copy of this data/information. If this data/information
does  not exist, I would respectfully request that ICANN reconsider its
refusal to answer the legitimate questions that this Working Group properly
submitted to them.

I am not trying to be difficult, but I believe that ICANN has certain
obligations set forth in the AoC and refusing to answer legitimate questions
information deeply troubling. Can you please reconfirm that ICANN
(Board/staff) has no intention of answering the legitimate questions that
this Working Group initially put forward.

Best regards,

Michael