ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Regarding the Nairobi Board Resolution

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Regarding the Nairobi Board Resolution
  • From: Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:19:31 -0700

Members of the Vertical Integration Working Group:
This is the first contact I have had directly with you as a group – I want to
start by thanking you for the interest and hard work put into the vertical
integration issues. I have attended several of the calls and read the mail
list. A tremendous amount of thought has been devoted to developing a vertical
integration model for this new gTLD marketplace.
Some time ago, representatives of the group forwarded a set of questions to the
ICANN Board regarding the Nairobi Board resolution on the vertical integration
issue. The working group authored the set of specific questions to clarify the
meaning of the resolution in order to inform the work of the group.
The Board discussed the questions posed by the group and considered a set of
possible answers. In the end, the collective Board members’ opinions indicated
that the Board will not provide advice for your group in response to the
questions.  The Board took note that the task set out for the GNSO – and
through it, for the working group – was to develop a policy recommendation
regarding the vertical structure of the name registration marketplace, starting
with a “blank sheet of paper.“ The Board comments indicated that the resolution
was crafted, in part, to give the GNSO the widest possible latitude in crafting
a structure.
The Board also indicated that the next version of the proposed Guidebook and
the gTLD implementation will be guided by the Nairobi Board resolution, unless
superseded by a GNSO recommended, Board approved policy.
I realize some time has passed since the questions were originally posed and am
gratified that the working group has continued to prosecute this task with all
possible vigour. After considering this issue myself, I think the sense of the
Board on this issue is correct. The policy advice on this issue should come
from the consensus of the constituent groups, and should not be influenced by
the input of the ICANN’s directors.
Again, please accept my thanks for the hard work to date and also my
willingness to respond to questions or issues on any of the vertical
integration discussion points.

Sincerely,

Kurt

Kurt Pritz