ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Regarding the Nairobi Board Resolution

  • To: Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Regarding the Nairobi Board Resolution
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:29:27 -0400

Kurt,

The Working Group's list is probably as active as any list since the
turn of the century, comparable with the newdom and similar lists. I
don't envy your having to get sufficient context, depth and breadth to
engage, in the dialects of the members, which range from antitrust to
economics to gaming to pursuit of specific applications, spoken from
perspectives of more than a decade of IANA and ICANN policy experience
to less than a year of ICANN policy exposure, primarily in American
English and an American social framework.

After reflecting for a day I see how my questions contained advice for
the respondent, nominally Counsel, but also the Board, and equally
that answers would equally contain advice.

The answer to my first question will be eventually answered, if only
when applications are evaluated. Similarly, my second question too
will be eventually answered, at the same point in time. In fact, my
questions weren't very interesting to begin with.

The blank sheet of paper image is useful. It usually triggers writer's
block, or outbursts of momentary loquacity. It will take time to
develop a complete vertical integration, in the broadest sense, policy
picture on this single blank sheet. Within that time are the necessary
findings of fact and measured balances of policy goals, few of which
are present as the Working Group begins.

We can begin with what we believe we know, within the limits of our
collective confidence of our awareness of the relevant facts and our
balance of known policy goals. We can proceed step by step, from this
initial design on our presently blank sheet of paper, towards more
nuanced and complex problems, over time.

While we have nothing but the Board's position, I hope that the Board
will not defer "closing the DAG" and setting the dates for the
outreach program, and the date for the application acceptance, and
subsequent principle events, as the development of a vertical
integration policy will be incremental and continuous over several years.

I personally appreciate your offer to answer questions, but I think
you've hit upon the central point, that Staff cannot set policy, it
must originate from the consensus of the constituent groups.

Eric