ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI - Make us feel safer

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI - Make us feel safer
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:57:26 +0200

Make us feel safer? The whole topic of this discussion is distracting us from our purpose. If we only feel safer, nothing really needs to be resolved. Finding a solution that gives us a nice fuzzy warm feeling but does nothing to effectively combat abuse does not advance our purpose. I have read off list, that many participants argue from fear of abuse and gaming.

I contend that it will not be possible to prevent all abuse or gaming.

Can't...be...done!

What we can do is to develop a system that detects such abuse and deals with it effectively. I agree that the track record of ICANN is not very impressive in this regard, so it may be necessary to outsource this function and only leave ICANN to impose the sanctions after abuse has been determined. No abuse will be prevented by imposing a limitation on cross-ownership. This is just a red herring used to alleviate fear. It is the new gTLD equivalent of "clean-air bills", "more police on the streets" and "more CCTVs of troublespots". All sounds very nice to the general public, but is not very effective.

Any form of abuse that can be conceived under a 100% VI/CO scenario is just as possible under a 15% or even 0% policy.
I think a lot of the discussions do rest on:

- various expectations on audit, compliance and enforcement
- various levels of confidence that such could be done
- various level of belief on whether high Co-[ownership/control] can be
reasonably mixed with adherence to Rec. 19 and equal access with protections.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12