ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 00:18:42 +0200

Volker,

Indeed, I agree that the examples I made are not SRSUs, I only suggested
they are "pretty close" to it.
One of the ideas of the UPU was, in fact, to use the .post for a network of
the post offices worldwide. If we buy the position of the UPU that they are
the meta-organization of all post administrations, the distance is fairly
small, to my metrics.
However, the point is not whether .post or others are SRSUs, but what are
the conditions under which we can relax the requirement of equal access to
all registrars. Also, the examples are meant to stimulate the discussion.
So, regardless of whether .post or .museum are SRSU (or niche?), would this
type of application and this type of usage of the TLD deserve an exception,
or not? If yes, what are the characteristics of such TLDs to obtain an
exception? If not, what is the fear or the potential harm that justifies a
denial?

Cheers,
Roberto