ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:52:29 -0400

I think my earlier note on agency is still useful. At IBM, where Armonk "owned" everything, I owned an IBM operating system product, and I owned the entire corporate 802.5 link layer while figuring out the undocumented semantics of the Routing Information Field that caused the collapse of very large internal production rings. (Congestive collapse is cool, from a single ARP request response pair across a highly interconnected mesh of physical rings)

I think I and everyone I worked with at PASC, Austin and Armonk had more agency, more "freedom" to use IBM's internal, and even its external facing properties, than a brand promotion proposition exploiting a weakness in the management of the public mapping to publicly routable addresses.

SizeOf(#products) << SizeOf(#employees) << SizeOf(#subscribers)

If we have anything, and I claim we do not, as there is more unattempted policy here than attempted, it is on the extreme left hand side of this little "<<" encrusted line, where SizeOf(#products) is bounded above by 10^^2, and SizeOf(#employees) is bounded above by 10^^5 and SizeOf(#subscribers) is bounded above by 10^^7.

I don't mind refreshes of the 10^^2 names periodically, as products reach EOL and new ones are launched, it just doesn't make what hasn't been done (missing policy development) magically done.

I also don't mind if 2->3, 4 is a problem for reserved lists, a registry ought to have a clear idea why it is carving out tens of thousands of names from what can be registered.

Eric