ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

• To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:52:29 -0400

I think my earlier note on agency is still useful. At IBM, where Armonk "owned" everything, I owned an IBM operating system product, and I owned the entire corporate 802.5 link layer while figuring out the undocumented semantics of the Routing Information Field that caused the collapse of very large internal production rings. (Congestive collapse is cool, from a single ARP request response pair across a highly interconnected mesh of physical rings)

I think I and everyone I worked with at PASC, Austin and Armonk had more agency, more "freedom" to use IBM's internal, and even its external facing properties, than a brand promotion proposition exploiting a weakness in the management of the public mapping to publicly routable addresses.

SizeOf(#products) << SizeOf(#employees) << SizeOf(#subscribers)

If we have anything, and I claim we do not, as there is more unattempted policy here than attempted, it is on the extreme left hand side of this little "<<" encrusted line, where SizeOf(#products) is bounded above by 10^^2, and SizeOf(#employees) is bounded above by 10^^5 and SizeOf(#subscribers) is bounded above by 10^^7.

I don't mind refreshes of the 10^^2 names periodically, as products reach EOL and new ones are launched, it just doesn't make what hasn't been done (missing policy development) magically done.

I also don't mind if 2->3, 4 is a problem for reserved lists, a registry ought to have a clear idea why it is carving out tens of thousands of names from what can be registered.

Eric

On 7/2/10 3:44 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

controls the names completely.

I have been wondering what this really means.

e.g when i used to have a real job, the laptop i used was completely owned by 
my employer.

he gave it to me
he tok it away when he wanted
he could snoop on it all he liked
and he could even slap my wrist if i did something wrong with it.
but, pretty much i did with what i pleased while i had it.
and different employers have different level of micromanagement with regard to 
the systems they distribute.

likewise if my employer give me myname.brand

he can take it away
he can check it out anytime
and he can slap my wrist if do bad.
but i could post anything i thought i could get away with.
at least until i was caught.

is this what people mean by

controls the names completely.     ?

is it a matter of ultimate responsibility and liability, with no possibility of 
an intermediate's freedom from liability?

a.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy