ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU

  • To: "gn >> \"'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'\"" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:17:50 +0200

Rosette, Kristina schrieb:
Under which circumstances would people feel safe in allowing vertical integration for a TLD that has a single registry and a single user (the typical case being a "brand" TLD, for internal use only)? KR: SEE IPC STATEMENT.
    * There should not be "sales" of SLDs, the names under the TLD are
distributed internally based on declared criteria. KR: AGREE THAT SHOULD BE NO SALES. "INTERNALLY" NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY DEFINED.
I agree 100%. In SRSU, domain names are used by the owner and not sold. I always had my problems with the distribution aspects as membership is probably too loose a definition. Internal use is the crucial point to define.

    * There is no "secondary market", i.e. a name cannot be "passed"
      to another beneficiary. Actually, the name remains always under
full control of the registry. KR: IF "PASSING" REFERS TO TRANSFER TO UNRELATED PARTY IN SRSU SCHEME, AGREE. HOWEVER, I ALSO SUPPORT A SRMU MODEL IN WHICH THE USER, WHICH IS RELATED TO THE REGISTRY EITHER THROUGH A PRIMARY AGREEMENT FOR OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (e.g., SUPPLIERS, AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS, ETC.) OR AS ITS TRADEMARK LICENSEE. UNDER THE CONDITIONS THE IPC PROPOSED, THE REGISTRY WOULD MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE NAME.
Can you give an example where this may apply? I also tend to go with the "no passing on" group, but would listen to a reasonable argument for exceptions.
The point is that if a registry does fulfill these requirements, they will be granted an exception, and will be allowed to operate without giving equal access to all registrars.

KR: AGREE

I see this as the only possible exception to SRSU, but even then I would require the registry to demonstrate their need for the exception from granting equal access. There must be a valid, plausible need for such en exception, or equal access should apply.

Volker

    Under which circumstances would people feel safe in allowing
    vertical integration for a TLD that has a single registry and a
    single user (the typical case being a "brand" TLD, for internal
    use only)?

    Let me start.

        * There should not be "sales" of SLDs, the names under the TLD
          are distributed internally based on declared criteria.
        * There is no "secondary market", i.e. a name cannot be
          "passed" to another beneficiary. Actually, the name remains
          always under full control of the registry.

    The point is that if a registry does fulfill these requirements,
    they will be granted an exception, and will be allowed to operate
    without giving equal access to all registrars.

    There might be interesting questions, like:

        * Will they be allowed to use the services of one registrar,
          selected by them, or not?

    Cheers,
    Roberto

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
66482 Zweibrücken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede
Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist
unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per
E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Prager Ring 4-12
DE-66482 Zweibruecken
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 861
Email: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.key-systems.net/facebook
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 1861 - Zweibruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is
addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this
email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the
author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.