ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Feedback: Amended Statement on Exceptions for Vertical Integration Group

  • To: gnso-vi-feb10 <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Feedback: Amended Statement on Exceptions for Vertical Integration Group
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:36:11 -0400

Hi,

I thank you for the nice words on our joint effort.

[Note re On/Off Topic ; while  I compliment you for avoiding the On/Off topic
Conundrum by changing the subject line and including reference to the message
inside the body of the message.  However since I cannot really tell where On
Topic ends and Off Topic begins, I must warn readers that my answer may be
somewhat Off Topic.  so if they are really pressed for time and canot tolerate
things that may be Off Topic, perhaps they should skip the rest of the message]

I think there are a lot of examples missing from the list.   There are
certainly things I would like to have included in the exceptions list (e.g.
SRSU - but what does that really mean).  But this list was supposed to be just
a set of examples, and hopefully was one that most would not disagree with at
least as a minimal possible set of examples to give a clue as to what sorts of
things one might find in such an exceptions list.

I think we have a whole effort in front of us, assuming this exception doc gets
some level of consensus/near consensus, in building a full exceptions list and
setting the support level for the various entires of the list.

I look forward to conversations on how to define the various exceptions and the
constraints that would need to be applied to them if they were to be accepted
as excceptions.

In terms of your list:

- Bring social benefits:  this is a hard one since i expect most everyone will
define their TLD as bringing a social benefit of some sort.  But I have also
noted that we have a large divergence in our definitions of social benefit and
some things others consider a social benefit I may consider a social detriment.
and vice versa.

- special treatment for non-profit:  In the Joint ALAC.GNSO WG on Support for
New GTLD Applicants we have found that the struct separation of the TLD issue
into the non profit/for profit baskets may not make complete sense if the goal
is to support the public interest in developing regions.  While this seems
fairly clear when discussing application in the Northern Developed regions, in
challenged regions it becomes a little less clear.

- Multistakeholder governance of the TLD:  being an advocate of
multistakeholderism who will often engage in a vigorous and relentless campaign
for the multistakeholder principle, I find the inclusion of this very
appealing.  But I question whether that is a characteristic of an applicant or
a constraint one places on an applicant.  Also in the full definition of
multistakeholder goverance, government is usually included and I am not sure
that this would necessarily be reasonable in the case of VI in new GLTDs.  So
some sort of modified notion would need to discussed and the the reelvance of
the constraint would also need to be discussed to see if there was consensus on
it.

a.