ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] the way forward regarding proposals, drafts and polls

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] the way forward regarding proposals, drafts and polls
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:19:23 +0200

Hi Roberto,

I agree with your assessment of what should be included in the report, with one exception.

- discussions have taken place on what will be the default (or fallback)
position - there seem to be rough consensus that if nothing comes out from
this WG the default position is the Nairobi resolution plus DAG4 (although
there is still disagreement on whether the baseline is Nairobi or DAG4 and
whether these are really different)
We should make clear that this is what we understand to be the default position due to the Nairobi decision and subsequent statements of the board, but that this position not desired by or has the support of the majority of the group. I believe if we can be said to have reached something resembling consensus on one issue so far it is that the default position is not desired by most of us.
My personal idea is that we will not have a proposal getting consensus,
although there will be proposals that might get more support than others
(i.e. higher scores in the beauty contest, but no landslide vote) - this is
to be verified via the poll.
I agree with your assessment that a final poll is useful for displaying the current state of the group in the report. Many opinions have changed, even if the hardcore groups remain the same.
Best

volker