ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] POLL Deadline -- 0600 GMT tomorrow -- proposal for poll-usage

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] POLL Deadline -- 0600 GMT tomorrow -- proposal for poll-usage
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:46:31 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> -- the term "unscientific" confuses me

(support from your friendly neighborhood social scientist:) Thank you so much
for saying that!

People who complain that this is unscientific are completely missing the boat.
This is not intended to be a statistical sample of a wide population that
proves or tests a hypothesis; it is a straw poll of the members of the WG, that
objectively measures their support. Some chose not to respond or didn't have
time, but responses include more than half of the members and virtually all of
the active members. Anyone who thinks that the results do not accurately
represent the aggregate views of WG members are the ones being unscientific.

> -- regarding whether to include a poll in the Final Report.  people, we
> *are* going to include a tally of who supports what proposal, and who
> supports what conclusion, in our final report.  we've been asked for

Thank you. This issue is settled and settled right.

--MM