ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU Exception Text - Revised - DIR?

  • To: "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU Exception Text - Revised - DIR?
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:52:49 -0400

I think we can all agree that SRSU was discussed and that there are a
significant number of the WG that agree it merits further discussion.

Passed that I don't understand how one constituency (ISP) feels that it
should have a position equal to all other individual members within this
working group?

Moreover there is NO support for SRMU and for this reason it should not even
be mentioned in the Initial Report, in my view.  Specifically, I take issue
with this paragraph:

< Types of SRSU exceptions. As discussed further below, several types of
SRSUs were proposed by constituencies, stakeholder groups, and WG members.
The Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) proposed an SRSU and SRMU
exception for a registry for which the gTLD string is an identical match to
the registry?s trademark/service mark (a ?.brand? registry) and that
satisfied additional criteria that the IPC intended to limit the
applicability of the exceptions and to discourage abuse and gaming of the
exceptions.    Several WG participants who are members of the Non-Commercial
Stakeholders Group proposed an SRSU exception for non-governmental
organization registries (NGOs) (referred to as .ngo registry) in case where
a specific membership organization could be identified and the string
corresponded to the NGO?s name and also proposed an SRSU exception for
cultural, linguistic or non profit organizations.  And still other
proposals, such as JN2, proposed an SRSU/SRMU exception for any entity that
could meet strict use requirements where the only user of the second-level
names is the registry itself, its employees, agents and subcontractors,
regardless of whether the registry is a .brand or .ngo.  >

That is why I support Tim's approach.  That is, to provide factual
information only and not promote one constituency's POV.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff
RNA Partners, Inc.