ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI WG Interim Report edits

  • To: "'Rosette, Kristina'" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI WG Interim Report edits
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:47:05 -0400

Here is an alternative to what is currently posted.  Not sure if the redline
version will show on the mailing list, so I have attached it to this mail.

Types of SRSU exceptions. As discussed further below, several types of SRSUs
were proposed in the public comments by constituencies and stakeholder
groups, as well as WG members.  The Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC)
proposed an SRSU and SRMU exception for a registry for which the gTLD string
is an identical match to the registry's trademark/service mark (a ".brand"
registry) and that satisfied additional criteria intended to limit the
applicability of the exceptions and to discourage abuse and gaming of the
exceptions.  Other WG participants proposed an SRSU exception for
non-governmental organization registries (NGOs) (referred to as .ngo
registry) in cases where a specific membership organization could be
identified and the string corresponded to the NGO's name.  An SRSU exception
for cultural, linguistic or non profit organizations was also proposed.  And
still others proposed an SRSU exception for any entity that could meet
strict use requirements where the only user of the second-level names is the
registry itself.

However, due to the compressed time frame under which the VI Working Group
is working, agreement has so far centered around an SRSU where second level
names can only be registered to the registry (i.e. the registry is the
registrant for all names).  A majority of the Working Group feel that more
time to work on this type of exception may find consensus.  Very little, if
any, time was devoted to discussion about any other type of single
registrant exception as noted above.

Thanks,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff