ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Two questions relating to two examples offered in support of some "SR" claim

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Two questions relating to two examples offered in support of some "SR" claim
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:32:31 -0400

I am dumbfounded by the cluelessness of such an assumption.
The whole point of such an application is to break free of the limitations of
"current corporate use."

When we moved from charging dollars per minute for phone use to pennies per
minute, the volume and type of usage changed dramatically. When we moved from
pennies per minute to free international calling via VoIP, there was another
radical change in quantity and quality. The same shift will happen when
organizations control their own name space.

Organizations that have to rent domains from an external supplier that charges
them tens of dollars per item (not to mention the transactions costs associated
with contracting with the supplier and managing perishable subscriptions) are
going to behave very differently when they can mint their own names at will.

> of registrar function could easily be met by either the reserved list
> mechanism or by any registrar either corporation selects by any means.

Sounds to me like an old post, telephone and telegraph monopoly attempting to
rationalize those dollar per minute calls.