ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:56:57 -0500

hi Antony,

i was pondering that too.

it seems to me that we're transitioning from Part 1 of our work to Part 2.  i
think this is a good thing, by the way.

in Part 1, we were basically given a really harsh deadline under which to
conduct a negotiation.  there wasn't time to conduct any research or analysis,
we basically had to take our positions and smack them together to see if there
was a path that equally disagreeable to all.  unsurprisingly, we didn't find
that path.

in Part 2, we have the luxury of taking a bit more methodical look at things
and see if we can figure out A Better Way.  and that is, i think, what we're
starting to do with this thread about harms.

i'd like to try out an idea and see whether i get shot out of the saddle...

-- first, figure out what the problem is (i think the list of harms falls into
the "define the problem" step)

-- then, figure out what the possible solutions are (separation, compliance,
exceptions, etc.)

-- then, figure out which possible solutions will most effectively solve the
problems

so, while i agree that eventually we're going to have to cover the bases of
compliance and enforcement, i'm pretty comfortable just documenting the harms
as a first step.  whatcha think?

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356