ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"
  • From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:42:46 -0500

I like the reasoning here.

First, do no harm.  Second, if you do harm, then here are the sanctions; a
priori notification is perfectly ok.

The first rule then for a positive regulatory framework is to exercise
reason; money is the motivator for harmful practices. The second is to say
what we know of harms; enumerate or create categories linked to the proceeds
of the actions and sanction to make uneconomical. The third is a capstone
that will deal with harms unknown; investigate, confirm, sanction to deter.

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799
Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround