ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: "'Jeff Eckhaus'" <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'shammock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <shammock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:52:17 -0400

Jeff, I don't think the GAC position has any more legitimacy than ours, indeed
much less so in terms of the time put into it and level of expertise of the
participants. GAC doesn't have a "model," really. GAC's main point is that
exceptions to separation should hinge on market power, and that we ought to
avail ourselves of the expertise of national antitrust authorities, a position
which corresponds almost exactly to what CAM3 supporters have been saying, and
is also similar to what Salop and Wright said. However, CAM did not come close
to having consensus in this group, and there are interested parties in this
group who regularly make clear the fact that they don’t like what Salop and
Wright (or anyone else with expertise in competition law and economics) says.
Therefore, I don’t see why we should analyze how the different proposals fit
into the GAC model, how would that be different from analyzing how RACK or JN2
differs from CAM?

I think the only way forward is to agree on a very general statement about when
and how exceptions to vertical separation would be acceptable. But if you are
convinced more progress than that is possible in a few days, more power to you.