ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, vertical integration wg <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:38:55 -0400

I'd say that the group already does have a consensus position, one which
corresponds to the GAC's latest intervention, and also corresponds to the Salop
and Wright position.

That position is: there should be exceptions to registry registrar separation.
Vertical integration can be a good thing for consumers and suppliers and it can
also be a bad thing when the parties have market power.

An "exceptions" position that leaves more or less unspecified what the details
are, but refers to our prior report about the pros and cons of various
positions, seems to me a reasonable point of agreement.

--MM