ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: vertical integration wg <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:45:29 -0400

Hi,

I have not issue with continuing for the longer term solution.  But only if
there is realistic notion that someday, somehow we may achieve consensus on an
approach.

The idea of a interminable succession of meetings like the one yesterday where
we could not even agree on having meetings fill me with dread.  We would have
to have a commitment from all of us to come back to the table with a sincere
intention fo compromise.  And I just don't see that happening at this point.  I
used to believe that the stakeholders in the GNSO could be brought to consensus
eventually on most any subject.  This group has dashed that faith.

As for a simple yes or no poll.  We have seen with every poll, how after the
poll, lots of people argued about what it meant and whether enough people had
voted and whether we should tell anyone or not. We cannot even achieve
consensus on the value of a poll.  So if there is a poll, I will vote in it.
But I have no confidence that it will resolve anything.  It we do have a poll
we better discuss the wording of the poll on the list first - though I am
concerned we may not even be able to decide on wording on a poll.

Sometimes after a failure, it is best to give up for a while.  And try again
someday in the future once we see what the Board actually decides and see how
well whatever they works in the new gTLD process that may eventually commence.

a.