ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] More on closure

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] More on closure
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 19:18:18 +0200

On 25 Oct 2010, at 18:42, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> here is ample evidence that this WG is far less active than before. Also, can
> you name any progress made in the last couple of months? And compare it to
> progress made previously.

Just to answer this one.  As I have sort of indicated before, I think that
progress halted while calling the Board's bluff.

Some of us believe the board meant it when they said 0%.
Some of us believe they still meant it when they changed 0% to 2%.
Some of never believe that the Board meant any of it.
Some of believe that that even if the Board meant it, they were nuts and could
never live up to it.
etc...

i believe that there were a number of people in this group who wanted to find
out what the Board was really up to before making any more progress.  I have
called it calling the Board bluff, but that may contain a bit too much
intentionality.  It is perhaps more like existential paralysis.

So now, I believe, we are in a lull and little is going to happen until the
Board takes a final action that people believe.

Then again if the Board does not finalize the new gTLD program in Cartagena, we
will be in interregnum where we won't know what happens next until the new
Board finds its identity and its voice.

And if so, this group will remain in existential paralysis for a little while
longer.

I do think working on responses to the comments is a good way to spend the
lull.  And if we adopt the method where each proposal writes up its responses
to the comments, I will work on CAM responses (which I still see as a
compromise looking for more people to help make it an even better compromise).
And if we have a common objection text, I will comment on successive edits.  We
don't really need meetings for that do we?  Perhaps we should go into a period
on on-line work.

a.

PS. had to look up Bora.  And to find that Trieste's is the best known Bora was
interesting.  Cool.  Hope all of your hatches are battened down.