ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls review/comment within 24 hours

  • To: "'Neuman, Jeff'" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls review/comment within 24 hours
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:07:58 -0400

Jeff and Tim,

My posting of one week ago follows.  You will note that staff has advised on
this matter and we are closing it out, as recommended.

Margie pointed out that the WG must send something to the Board after review of
the public comments, i.e., the final report.  We need to nail down that final
the Board and GNSO Council before their next meetings.  Staff have intimated to
the Council that the October 28th Board meeting will be decision-making time
for the final AG, so the Board needs to get our input as soon as possible
considering they will be meeting Thursday in one week (10-days from today).
[Turns out that the Board and Council are meeting on the same day.]  We don't
need full consensus on this, and I believe that the majority of WG would
support a final report that included the details of Roberto's email of today.
I checked with the GNSO Chair regarding the reporting chain and he is of the
opinion that a singular message sent to PdT, KP and GNSO Chair is the way
forward (i.e., we needn't get back into the issue of whether we send it to
Council to forward to the Board, etc.  It can go direct).

The second issue - whether to dissolve this WG or hibernate it - is a
non-issue.  IF we can get enough agreement from the WG to send our FINAL
report, then, pursuant to Roberto's email, we go back to the Council to ask
about re-chartering this same group or establishing a new issues report/PDP.

In either case, any one who wants to continue on a re-chartered WG or a
newly-chartered WG to complete phase 2 work would be able to.  In short, I
don't see what merit there is in 'hibernating' our WG.

Wrapping up our loose ends (responding to comments) this week will leave the
Board a few days more to determine what they want to do.  Delaying the
information we need to send on would only serve to shed a bad light on the
current WG, IMHO.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff