ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls review/comment within 24 hours

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls review/comment within 24 hours
  • From: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 07:27:56 -0700

Just to clarify my comments-  I did not indicate that something needs to be 
sent to the Board from the VI WG at this time.   My point was that the public 
comments need to be properly evaluated and included in the Final Report, which 
would be sent to the GNSO Council upon completion of the Phase I work.  The 
GNSO Council would then decide whether to approve of the recommendations (if 
any) and/or to  send  the Final Report to the Board.

Best Regards,



Margie Milam
Senior Policy Counselor
From: owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx] On 
Behalf Of Stéphane Van Gelder
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:15 AM
To: Tim Ruiz
Cc: Ron Andruff; Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx; Neuman,Jeff; mike@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls 
review/comment within 24 hours

Once again, I agree with Tim on process and do not believe Margie at any point 
implied the WG should send directly to the Board.


Envoyé de mon iPhone4

Le 26 oct. 2010 à 00:14, "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>> a 
écrit :
A final report is different, but that goes to Council, not the Board. The 
Council reviews and then Council sends it on to the Board. If that's what we're 
talking about, fine. But it didn't seem to me that everyone had bought into a 
final report and wrapping up the WG just yet.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points
-- pls review/comment within 24 hours
From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Mon, October 25, 2010 5:07 pm
To: "'Neuman, Jeff'" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>>, 
"'Tim Ruiz'"
Cc: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>>
Jeff and Tim,

My posting of one week ago follows.  You will note that staff has advised on 
this matter and we are closing it out, as recommended.

Margie pointed out that the WG must send something to the Board after review of 
the public comments, i.e., the final report.  We need to nail down that final 
report this week, in my view, so that we establish a definitive VI WG line for 
the Board and GNSO Council before their next meetings.  Staff have intimated to 
the Council that the October 28th Board meeting will be decision-making time 
for the final AG, so the Board needs to get our input as soon as possible 
considering they will be meeting Thursday in one week (10-days from today).  
[Turns out that the Board and Council are meeting on the same day.]  We don't 
need full consensus on this, and I believe that the majority of WG would 
support a final report that included the details of Roberto's email of today.  
I checked with the GNSO Chair regarding the reporting chain and he is of the 
opinion that a singular message sent to PdT, KP and GNSO Chair is the way 
forward (i.e., we needn't get back into the issue of whether we send it to 
Council to forward to the Board, etc.  It can go direct).

The second issue - whether to dissolve this WG or hibernate it - is a 
non-issue.  IF we can get enough agreement from the WG to send our FINAL 
report, then, pursuant to Roberto's email, we go back to the Council to ask 
about re-chartering this same group or establishing a new issues report/PDP.
In either case, any one who wants to continue on a re-chartered WG or a 
newly-chartered WG to complete phase 2 work would be able to.  In short, I 
don't see what merit there is in 'hibernating' our WG.

Wrapping up our loose ends (responding to comments) this week will leave the 
Board a few days more to determine what they want to do.  Delaying the 
information we need to send on would only serve to shed a bad light on the 
current WG, IMHO.

Kind regards,


Ronald N. Andruff
RNA Partners, Inc.

From: owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx> 
[mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Neuman, Jeff
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 5:27 PM
To: Tim Ruiz; mike@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls 
review/comment within 24 hours

I agree with Tim as well on this.  There is no protocol for us to be sending 
anything directly to the Board and that falls outside of the Policy Development 
Process (which we are still in the middle of).

Even assuming we were to send something to the Board, and I apologize for not 
being able to be on the call (don’t remove me from the list), I do not see the 
value of the specific bullet points.  If I were to interpret those bullet 
points (in my own way), this is how I would read them:

Bullet 1.  When we talked about compliance in our report, we really meant it.
Bullet 2.  There is still no consensus on any solution (even though we told you 
that a few weeks ago)
Bullet 3.  We have been doing some work over the past few weeks and we plan on 
doing more, but no consensus yet on any of it.
Bullet 4.  When we discussed that there may be a need for exceptions in our 
report that we sent to you, some of us meant that as well.

Not to be too cynical (I know – too late), but what do those that support 
sending this list to the Board hope to achieve by sending the list?

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Law & Policy
The information co

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy