ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-dt]

RE: [gnso-whois-dt] Whois Study draft motion and latest working definitions for 18 Feb call

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-whois-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-whois-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-whois-dt] Whois Study draft motion and latest working definitions for 18 Feb call
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:58:34 -0800

All,

Following up on Chuck's message, for your reference attached is the most recent
draft of the WHOIS studies motion that we've circulated, with "pending"
discussion edits on studies 3 and 20 (Group E) in redline, and the most recent
draft of the working definitions of key terms used in WHOIS studies.  Please
note that this latest draft of terms DOES NOT include or reflect the suggested
edits that Tim Ruiz offered in his email of 28 January.  Tim's suggested edits
were extensive and substantial and I was hesitant to try to
interpret/incorporate without general concurrence that this was a direction the
group wanted to go in.  I have reprinted Tim's suggestions below also for easy
reference:

(1) It may be worth separating "illegal" from "undesirable".

Under "illegal" - it would be useful to adopt the language used in some of the
new gTLD material - so that it is illegal in the context of "generally accepted
legal norms that are recognized under international principles of law."

Under "undesirable" - this could be a narrower set of areas where laws probably
haven't kept up with technology - examples would be SPAM email, viruses,
malware etc, where significant inconvenience can be imposed on Internet users.

(2) It may be worth considering combining "misuse" and "undesirable."

(3) Under commercial purposes - the definition would seem to exclude pages with
advertising/PPC links. Since some domain names are legitimately used as
essential advertising billboards/portals etc., it may be worth including this
type of commercial use explicitly.

Attached documents can also be found on the WHOIS wiki workspace under "WHOIS
references" -- https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?whois_references

Thanks, Liz