ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

Re: [gnso-whois-study] documents for tomorrow's call

  • To: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-whois-study] documents for tomorrow's call
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:06:55 -0400

I apologize, I will not be able to join tomorrow's call.

Here's a recap of some of what I've said on the calls and online,
opposing any further studies.

I object to spending any of ICANN's registrant-derived funds on further
studies of WHOIS.  The primary barrier to resolving WHOIS/privacy issues
is not lack of data, but lack of political will.  So long as those who
are happy with the status quo of full published access to registrants'
identifying information can maintain that status quo by blocking
consensus around any changes, they will do so.  Requesting further
"studies" is a way of retaining status quo while appearing to move forward.

Until we can resolve a way around that blockage, further studies will
not advance the policymaking process.  They will simply be subjected to
the same spin: accepted by those whose agendas they further, criticized
by those on the other side.  Even well engineered studies with strong
conclusions have no compelling force against the interest group politics
that has been going on for more than seven years so far. Thus without
concrete commitments from constituencies to modify their policy agendas

Thanks,
--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visiting Professor, Northeastern University School of Law