ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

Section 8 Other GAC recommendations [was: Re: [gnso-whois-study] documents for tomorrow's call]

  • To: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Section 8 Other GAC recommendations [was: Re: [gnso-whois-study] documents for tomorrow's call]
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 19:51:08 -0700

Liz, other study group members,

I didn't previously comment on the item 8 "Other GAC recommendations".

GAC bullet #1 is only slightly interesting. Whois (ports 43 and 80) server operators could provide data, but there will be significant artifacts within the data which will limit its utility, as the data will reflect the momentary present aggregate of anti-harvesting mechanisms, from white lists and rate limiting to anti-robot tests and so on. Additional problems arise in the notion that "user" or "users" of anonymous servers can be usefully identified or the use to which data appears to be used can be corolated to the user(s) who harvested the data.

Upon reflection, this appears to reduce to the non-serious and already answered (several times) question -- "Does whois contribute to the spam et seq set of problems?"

GAC bullets #5 and #6 are variations on the more specific, but useless questions about privacy services. The assumption that a duty to disclose data that is known to harm the registrant is conditional upon whether the registrant is a person or a non-person flounders on the reality that contact data goes to people, and can ultimately be used to force manual processing of spam or forged bounce messages or phone calls or postal mail or the ever eager MLS marketing associate knocking on the door by persons.

GAC bullet #3 assumes a fact not in evidence, that the creation of a persistent identifier in a name space creates an unqualified and universal 3rd-party right to know the identity of the creator of the persistent identifier. Again, some 63 or fewer decimal value approximation of e or pi or any other fundamental constant really isn't a police matter, when used on paper or when used in the dns. Pity we're not discussing policy about trademarks or ongoing criminal enterprises associated with well-known felons.

Again, none of these recommendations met my test for useful policy or useful data, and all get my "no".

Eric