ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

RE: [gnso-whois-study] Updated hypotheses attached

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Brendler, Beau" <Brenbe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-whois-study] Updated hypotheses attached
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:12:33 -0700

This might need a grammatical tweak or two to fit the audience, but here it is,
with pasted resolution below.  I've been tailoring each one with the original
proposed hypotheses applicable to that submitter.  Most have been sent out
already.

I'm writing about the WHOIS study suggestions that you submitted to ICANN's
GNSO earlier this year (back in February).  First, thank you so much for taking
the time to offer your thoughtful suggestions.   Following the public comment
period during which you responded, the GNSO Council convened a small study
group to consider the suggestions that were offered and to begin the process of
evaluating which studies should be pursued.  Prior to selecting which studies
should be further assessed for cost, feasibility, and related considerations,
the Council asked the study group to review each study submission, restate each
one so as to present them in a consistent and concise format, and focus on the
factual data that the study, if completed,  would provide.  The text of the
most recent GNSO Council resolution forming the study group is copied below for
your reference.

Before sharing reformulated hypotheses for your proposed studies with the
Council, the study group would like to double check with you to give you an
opportunity to comment on whether the reformulations we developed are
consistent with your original recommendations.  Following is a cut-and-paste of
your original hypotheses, as submitted, and the group's reformulations.  We
would very much appreciate hearing back from you by Wednesday 20 August.  We
recognize that this is short window for responses, especially during vacation
season, so if you are unable to respond in the time allowed, we would still
like your input and we will try to factor in your thoughts once we receive them.

Thanks and best regards,

_____________________________

WHOIS motion as amended, 25 June, 2006, passed unanimously by the GNSO Council:

Whereas:

On 27 March 2008 the
Council<http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-gnso-27mar08.shtml> resolved to
form a group of volunteers to review and discuss the 'Report on Public
Suggestions on Further Studies of
WHOIS';<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-study-suggestion-report-25feb08.pdf>
 develop a proposed list, if any, of recommended studies for which ICANN staff
will be asked to provide cost estimates to the Council; and deliver the list of
recommendations with supporting rationale not later than 24 April 2008

On 16 April the Government Advisory Committee submitted to the ICANN Board
recommendations<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/whois-study-suggestion-report-10may08.pdf>
 for future studies of WHOIS

On 22 May the group of volunteers submitted a report
<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/gnso-whois-study-group-report-to-council-22may08.pdf>
 to the Council offering two opposing viewpoints on whether studies of WHOIS
should be conducted

There was not agreement in the Whois Studies volunteer group regarding whether
or not any studies should be conducted.

Before finalizing a decision regarding whether any studies should be conducted,
it should be useful to

1) understand the full set of hypotheses to be tested,
2) determine which of those hypotheses, if tested, might provide useful
direction with regard to Whois policy, and
3) to ensure that the collection of hypotheses adequately cover alternative
view points with regard to Whois policy.

Resolved:

To reconvene another group of volunteers, which may include members of the
earlier group and/or new volunteers to:

Review the study recommendations offered through the public comment period and
the studies requested by the GAC and, based on those recommendations and that
request, prepare a concise list of hypotheses.
Deliver a report containing the above with any supporting rationale to the
Council within 6 weeks.
The Council will then decide whether any potential studies should be further
considered, and if so, identify hypotheses that it would like the staff to
determine cost, feasibility, potential methodology, and estimated time frames
for testing.