ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

[gnso-wpm-dt] WPM-DT: Step 5 (In Progress)

  • To: <gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] WPM-DT: Step 5 (In Progress)
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:44:21 -0500

WPM-DT Members:

As promised, this second memo today will outline a few issues that were
brought up in today's discussion as well as discussing some of what we might
consider in our next session.

Outstanding Issues:

1)      Value/Benefit (Y Axis) Definition-Issue #1:   this is a holdover
from the 21 Dec session during which a question was raised as to whether/how
to modify the definition to ensure that the narrower GNSO is represented vs.
only the global Internet community and ICANN stakeholders.

2)      Resource Consumption (X Axis) Definition-Issue #1:  we noted that
there were variances in interpretation by participants as to whether a
project's Resource Consumption should be exhaustive, i.e. from the beginning
of its instantiation (sunk cost) through anticipated closure or limited to
the current period forward.

3)      Resource Consumption (X Axis) Definition-Issue #2:  another question
surfaced as to whether the Resource Consumption estimate should include only
that portion of the project that relates to developing a GNSO recommendation
(e.g. Final Report) or also include an assessment of the project's full
implementation.   To bring everyone up to speed, the example that was used
was the Communications and Coordination Work Team (CCT) and its GNSO website
recommendations.    Given the Work Team's near completion of its final
Technology report, one view is that there is little work left to do; thus, a
relatively low X axis rating would result.   On the other hand, if the
project is to also consider the entire website development effort (whether
performed by Staff or outside consultants), that would produce a much higher
assessment of Resource Consumption.   The DT agreed that additional
discussion is needed to provide the Council clear guidance in terms of where
to draw the lines so that the ratings estimates are consistently interpreted
under a common rubric.

4)      Liz and Ken would like to introduce an additional question/concern
regarding the assessments of X and Y.   Staff calculated in previous
iterations that the correlation statistics between X and Y ratings, in many
instances, were high (> 50%) - a result that continued with the DELPHI
technique.   While a high correlation between these variables is not
necessarily indicative of a problem (i.e. highly valued projects might
indeed have high resource consumptions), they should be considered
independent variables.  Ken notes that, during today's discussion of the X
axis, comments were made a few times about the "priority" of a project even
when the team was explicitly evaluating its resource consumption.   For some
individuals, it may be challenging to cleanly separate the issues between
value and consumption.   One potential remedy to this natural
cross-correlation bias, would be to ask DIFFERENT parties to rate X and Y
independently.   For example, one possibility might be to ask the Council to
rate Value/Benefit and have Staff rate Resource Consumption - especially
since Staff has deeper knowledge of and more extensive involvement with the
various project teams and also understands the amount/extent of Staff
resources that are being applied.

Next Session:

1)      Next Meeting:  a Doodle poll will be forthcoming to find a time that
the DT can meet on either 5 or 6 January 2010.

2)      After today's work [Note: for technical results, see companion
email; Subject: Step 3a (Completed)], the team agreed to proceed to Step 5,
"Team assessment of the construct and process/methodology and
recommendations."   However, during the next meeting, in addition to the
process evaluation topics (see below), the team also wishes to consider
whether to create a Step 3b in which it would try another rating permutation
(e.g. small groups of 2-3).   If the team elects to perform a Step 3b, we
could repeat Steps 4 and 5 for that iteration before moving to Step 6 "Focus
on HOW the team might utilize the data in terms of developing a
prioritization -- the ultimate goal of this effort."

3)      We should also formalize the earlier list discussion which would add
a Step 7: "Red Team Analysis of Model, Methodology, and Procedures"

4)      The above step also suggests another one or Step 8:  "Finalize
WPM-DT Model and Recommendations to GNSO Council"

Considerations on Small Group DELPHI:

Following are some thoughts that the team might begin to weigh prior to next
week's session:

.         After having rated all 15 projects both individually and in one
large group (of 5), what new information might be learned by breaking into
smaller groups of 2-3?

.         What, if any, criteria, should be applied in constructing small
groups?   For example:  (a) experience/knowledge (pairing senior Councilor
with new member); (b) heterogeneous or homogeneous by Constituency and/or
SG; (c) contracted party vs. non-contracted; . others?

.         If small groups are constructed, should they be facilitated by
Staff using an Adobe Connect room or should individuals get together
independently to discuss and agree upon ratings to be submitted (e.g. using
form similar to the one provided earlier for individual ratings)?

Questions for DT Interim Evaluation:

The following approach is a suggestion for how we might proceed in
conducting next meeting's assessment discussion:

1)      Briefly recap the work completed thus far:

o   Project list (15) and requirements for inclusion as "active"

o   Two-dimensional model and definitions for X and Y

o   Ratings scale 1-7 from Far Below Average to Far Above Average

o   Individual ratings using rating scale with final chart plotting means or
medians

o   Large group DELPHI session using rating scale; facilitated using Adobe
Connect room with polling feature

2)      Any changes recommended to work already completed, i.e., what
worked, what didn't work?

3)      How is the DT doing against its objectives thus far?

Final Thought:

I have recently begun experimenting with Mind Mapping software (using
NovaMind4) and, mostly for my own purposes, I created a map of this team's
process so that I could keep track not only of the steps (I did change
sequencing a bit), but the various issues, questions, documents, etc., that
we have been accumulating via the list.   It is still a work-in-progress,
but if you would like to see a copy of the map, please click on this link:
http://www.novamind.com/connect/nm_documents/723.   It should not require
any login or other requirements to view.   I also attached a static JPEG
image in case you have any trouble with the link.

Ken Bour