ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Outcome of discussion on string checks on Wed 30 Aug in Amsterdam

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Outcome of discussion on string checks on Wed 30 Aug in Amsterdam
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:46:24 +1000

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Robin Gross
Sent: Sunday, 10 September 2006 2:46 AM
To: Mawaki Chango; Council GNSO
Subject: Re: [council] Re: [gtld-council] Outcome of discussion on
string checks on Wed 30 Aug in Amsterdam

I also have strong concerns about the definition of "confusingly
similar" below.

"Confusingly similar" and "likelihood of confusion" are LEGAL
DETERMINATIONS that a judge makes after evaluating both parties rights
to a mark and the particular use in question.  It is NOT something that
a technical body is capable of adjudicating.   There are free expression
rights, fair use rights, and an entire slew of legal evaluations that go
into place to determine "likelihood of confusion".  ICANN is a technical
body - not a legal body or the word police.  Decisions about what is
likely to confuse the public is entirely inappropriate for a technical
body to adjudicate.  Criteria (b) suggests we bar words that violate the
legal rights of others.  Are we impaneling judges to decide these legal
rights or are we to decide people's legal rights?

I also have significant problems with criteria (d) (no controversial or
religious words, etc.).  ICANN is in no to position to determine what
words are too controversial to be used by others.  This opens up a can
of worms to prevent online speech that will never get back.  ICANN
should be supporting freedom of expression guarantees on the Internet -
not censoring ideas that make some uncomfortable.    A dot freespeech
domain name (www.robin.freespeech) would be controversial for many
governments, so I guess that's out.

How can we possibly suggest going down this dangerous road of
censorship?

Also, which religions words get the special treatment?  Church of
Scientology?  The Moonies?   Jim Jones cult?  The Rastas?  What if its a
small religion of less than 500 people in Africa?  Will their sacred
words be off limits to others in a domain name?   There are thousands of
religions in this world.

Who gets to determine which religions receive the special treatment of
barring words?

Does this mean we can't have .god domain name?   What about .wicca or
.zeus or .satan or .holygrail or .priest or .sacrifice or .tithing?
Lots of religious words also have common non-religious uses - and
they'll be barred also under this proposal.

Who do we think we are to be making these kinds of determinations about
what speech may exist on the Internet in a domain name?

The proposal below goes well beyond ICANN's mandate of technical
determinations and is old-fashioned censorship.

Sincerely,
Robin