• Subject: Re: [gtld-council] string criteria
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:20:07 -0500

On 2-Mar-07, at 4:37 AM, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

I can understand that a court in
the USA would have such authority over ICANN with respect to adding a
string to the root.

(1) Are we creating a system that requires a party affected to use the
USA legal processes

I am also not a lawyer, but I believe the answer to this is yes - we would be looking for a system that requires ICANN to submit to the judgement of a court that has authority over ICANN - wherever that may be. Not only would this include the United States, but any country where ICANN has nexus. For example, Tucows is a Canadian company, but we have nexus in many, many countries (notably the US) and depending on circumstances, would need to submit to these foreign courts in various circumstances - either that or risk arrest or other action when our executives touch soil in those regions ;)

As ICANN becomes increasingly globalized, the number of courts that have authority over ICANN will ostensibly increase.

BTW - this situation exists no matter what administrative choices we make. I believe you are proposing that we create options so that ICANN can avoid the courts, but this simply amounts to recreating a subset of these legal systems (badly) inside our various contracts.

My preference would be to preserve this status quo instead of creating a large pseudo-legal bureaucracy in an attempt to cover over the fact that ICANN is a US corporation.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy