ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June

  • To: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

I remember at some point of the discussions, Chuck clarified
that not all gTLD candidates will be targeted to acoomunity, and
that a provision like this only concerns those of the gTLD that
would prurport to do so.

So I suggest to spell that out, and gather that a compromise may
be to have a recommendation in two paragraphs as follows:

** "An application will be rejected if is shown to be in
violation of the national law of the country in which the
applicant is incorporated;

Furthermore, for gTLDs that purport to serve an economic sector
or a community, an application may be rejected if it is
determined that there is substantial and disrupting opposition
to it from among established institutions of the target economic
sector or  community." **

This is because, all gtlds are concerned with complying law
enforcement in their relevant legislation, and in addition those
that are intended to be sector/community-specific may have to
meet additional requirements. Further, if my memory serves me, I
think we deal with technical and operational issues elsewhere
(and I don't seem to remember if there were other reasons that
simplicity & clarity for deleting the previous mention "to which
it is targeted or which it is intended to support."

Regards,

Mawaki