ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:23:57 -0700 (PDT)

I have to clarify that the language I suggest below was intended
to encapsulate the latest state of the discussion (where we left
this lately). This is not necessarily suggested for final
formulation of the recommendation. Obviously, there are
questions to be clarified. For example, I'm not clear whether
the gtlds targetting a sector of activity or a community are a
specific group of gtld (e.g., stld) or whether we mean any
application that makes claims to serve a specific audience, or a
gtld string that clearly seems to designate a spcefic audience
(even if the applicant doesn't make the claim to serve that
audience.)

My understanding was that we need more work/discussion to
clarify those potential issues (now aggravated by the one that
is raised by Ross about law violation.) It may be that we
realize in the process that the "transaction costs" for this
policy recommendation are too high in comparison to its assumed
benefits, and agree to drop it off altogether.

I have no assumption here.

Mawaki