ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June

• To: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:12:05 -0700

Hi Liz,

I have significant objections to #20 as currently drafted (and even more so as you proposed today, which goes even further in permitting objections to stop an application than the current draft of #20).

So I would propose the following for #20:
"An application may be rejected only if is shown to be in violation of the national law of the country in which the applicant is incorporated or if the applicant is shown to lack the technical or operational capacity to perform the necessary functions of managing the domain."

Thanks,
Robin

Liz Williams wrote:

Robin

Thanks for that -- do I understand you correctly that you don't have an issue with the drafting of the recommendation but that in implementation there would be limitations on who could object to what?

If you still have a problem with the drafting of the recommendation, do you have an alternative suggestion?

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels
+32 2 234 7874 tel
+32 2 234 7848 fax
+32 497 07 4243 mob

On 24 Jun 2007, at 20:23, Robin Gross wrote:

As I stated yesterday in the meeting, there must be a limitation on the *type* of objection that can stop an application for a new gtld (in addition to *who* can complain).

An objection to the string must be based on either law or technical/ operational issues. Otherwise, we swallow up all our attempts to narrow evaluation criteria to these issues and it becomes a free for all.

The language for #20 below still permits the 'Legion of Decency' type of actors or competitors to stop an application for non-legal reasons. It encourages lobbying for and against applications - really bad idea.

Robin

philip.sheppard@xxxxxx wrote:

How about this for clarity:

"An application will be rejected if it is determined that
there is opposition to it from among established
institutions of the economic sector, or cultural community, and the degree
of that opposition is substantial.

Note
Clarifies our intent
Deletes redundant "language community" as it is subset of cultural

Philip

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>