ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] modifications to new gTLD recommendations #3 and 6

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] modifications to new gTLD recommendations #3 and 6
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:40:28 -0700

Thanks, Philip. Personally, I would be happy with this approach. So if there are no objections from others to it, I'll draft a stmt for #21 and send it to the list tonight for comment.

Thanks,
Robin

Philip Sheppard wrote:

As there seems to be a logical difference between a string infringing a third
party right
and a process infringing freedom of expression, is not the solution to make two
beautifully
worded recommendations, rather than one ugly hodge-podge we currently have ?

So recomm 3 reads:
Strings must not infringe the existing legal rights of others that are
recognized or
enforceable under generally accepted and internationally recognized principles
of law.
Examples of such legal rights include, but are not limited to, the rights
defined in the
Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property and in particular
trade-mark
rights.

And over to Robin for a whole new recomm 21 about the "process" and "freedom of
expression".

Philip