ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] new TLDs updated work: Recommendation 6 clarification needed

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gtld-council] new TLDs updated work: Recommendation 6 clarification needed
  • From: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:37:08 +0200

Hello everyone

I have just reviewed all my notes and the subsequent email threads with respect to Recommendations 6. I have also read Robin's email posted http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-council/msg00691.html which says that the NCUC will submit minority reports on Recommendation 6 (& 20) next week. Assuming that is the case then, and this is where I need clarity for this week's work, is there any necessity for further discussion from the group beyond the list of proposed examples which I have amended parenthetically as a result of last week's call? I have set out the previously agreed text and the text agreed in the small group work.

Recommendation 6

Previously agreed text: "Strings must not be contrary to generally accepted legal norms relating to morality and public order that are enforceable under generally accepted and internationally recognized principles of law. Examples of such limitations that are internationally recognized include, but are not limited to, restrictions defined in the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property (in particular restrictions on the use of some strings as trademarks), and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (in particular limitations to freedom of expression rights)."

Small group agreed text: "Strings must not be contrary to generally accepted and internationally recognized principles of law. Examples of such principles of law include, but are not limited to, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the Paris Convention on the Protection of Industrial Property, the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) [remove previous two and insert language below], the Berne Convention on the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works [remove], the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination."

Note Philip suggested the inclusion of general text about the "intellectual property treaties administered by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)".

Given the two alternatives, I would be grateful if Committee members could clarify their support for one formulation or the other. The NCUC will then be able to write its minority statement based on the stable text.

I am happy to set up whatever communication the Committee may need during the week. Alternatively, email communication may suffice until the Thursday 19 July Committee meeting.

Kind regards.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor