ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] Recommendation 20: updated text (minor revision)

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20: updated text (minor revision)
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:50:30 +0200

I think the rec20 sub-group has done great work and support the new
formulation. I just have
a issue with the structure. The good point re material harm has been inserted
under
"process". This is the wrong place. It should be captured with our own
guidelines for
"substantial" (meaning in its pure sense "having substance, existing, material"
- not only
measured by volume). So see proposed edit below with a cut from process and a
new point (h).

PS I've substituted detriment rather than "material harm" which is a better
word in this
context.  (And I believe this picks up Mawaki's point too).
I hope the committee can adopt this friendly amendment.
Philip

  _____

Recommendation 20

An application will be rejected if an expert panel determines that there is
substantial
opposition to it from a significant portion of the community to which the
string may be
explicitly or implicitly targeted.

The remainder of the discussion focussed on the following items but is not yet
complete.

Process

§  Opposition must be objection based.
§  Determination will be made by a dispute resolution panel constituted for the
purpose
(perhaps like the RSTEP pool of panelists from which a small panel would be
constituted for
each objection)
§  The objector must provide verifiable evidence that it is an established
institution of
the community .

 Implementation Guideline --

 ( A small information paper is coming out from the Implementation Team on the
place of
public comments in the application evaluation process but there may be an
automatic response
to public comments that will alert public commenters to the objection process )
.

Guidelines

The task of the panel is the determination of substantial opposition.

a) substantial
In determining substantial the panel will assess the following:
§  significant portion
§  community
§  explicit or implicit targeting
§  established institution
§  formal existence.
§  detriment

b) significant portion:
In determining significant portion the panel will assess the balance between:
§  the level of objection submitted by one or more established institutions and
§  the level of support provided in the application from one or more established
institutions.

The panel will assess :
§  significance proportionate to the explicit or implicit targeting.

c) community
Community should be interpreted broadly and will include for example an
economic sector, a
cultural community, or a linguistic community. It may also be a closely related
community
which believes it is impacted.

d) explicitly targeted
Explicitly targeted means there is a description of the intended use of the TLD
in the
application.

e) implicitly targeted
Implicit targeting means that the objector makes an assumption of targeting or
that the
objector believes there may be confusion by users over its intended use.

f) established institution
An institution that has been in formal existence for at least 5 years. In
exceptional cases,
standing may be granted to an institution that has been in existence for fewer
then 5 years.
Exceptional circumstance include but are not limited to re-organisation,
merger, or an
inherently younger community.

The following ICANN organizations are established institutions: GAC, ALAC,
GNSO, ccNSO, ASO
(but this element requires further discussion)

g) formal existence
Formal existence may be demonstrated by:
§  appropriate public registration,
§  public historical evidence,
§  validation by a government, intergovernmental organization, international
treaty
organisation or similar.

h) detriment
Evidence of detriment to the community or to users more widely must be provided.