ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20 - New Wording Proposal

  • To: "Mawaki Chango" <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>, "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20 - New Wording Proposal
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:35:18 -0400

Please note my responses below.

Chuck Gomes

Chuck: As I already stated several times, I support "may" but I am not
sure this has to be a show stopper.

> Process
>
> 3rd bullet:
> * The objector must provide verifiable evidence that it is an
> established institution of the community
>
> Then the difinition of "established institution" is basically
> to have been in existence for 5 years in the community. So I
> feel that I'd miss (b) & (c) from the following text portion
> in Chuck's previous version, _especially (c)_ or some very
> close variance [it might be too heavy to get the whole
> portion in here, but there may be a way to include the substance]:
>
> Opposition must be objection based: the objector must
> demonstrate, based on objective and verifiable evidence, that:
> (a) It represents a significant portion of the community
> (b) It is authorized, or has legitimate standing, to object
> on behalf of the community, and
> (c) The legitimate rights or interests of the objecting
> community will be materially harmed or prejudiced by
> introduction of the proposed gTLD.

Chuck: I agree fully with this.  One of the first things I noticed was
these missing pieces, but hadn't had time to respond yet.

> Guidelines
>
> Building on that, the task on the panel will not be only to
> determine opposition but also the extent of the harm or
> prejudice. In that regard I would prefer to see where
> appropriate, a bullet saying something like:
>
> *) the extent of the harm to the community, particularly in
> the case of strings based on proper names when the
> introduction of the proposed gTLD will leave no option to the
> targeted community in terms of a fully equivalent identifier
> to chose as (future) gTLD.

Chuck: Interesting point, worth considering.

> [this can be way more elegantly worded, but I have little
> time, and you get the point.]
>
> c) Community
>
> "... It may also be a closely related community which
> believes it is impacted."
>
> I still don't understand closely related to what? to the string?
> to a primairily targeted community?

Chuck:  I think it means closely related to the targeted community.

> f) Established institution
>
> I'd suggest "ICANN bodies", instead of "ICANN organizations".

Chuck: fine with me.