ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gtld-council] new TLDs: Updated dates list

• To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] new TLDs: Updated dates list
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:15:43 +0200

Thanks Chuck

Yes, the terminology is somewhat confusing because we've already had the Initial Report -- many moons ago -- along with the public comment period. The results of that public comment period were incorporated into the meeting in Amsterdam.

We have been doing the Final Report as an iterative document over many months -- Bruce and I used that terminology and stuck with it for clarity's sake.

I'll call Avri today to make sure we are all aligned and that everything gets done the best way possible -- making sure that we incorporate public comment periods where they need to be.

Kind regards.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels
+32 2 234 7874 tel
+32 2 234 7848 fax
+32 497 07 4243 mob

On 26 Jul 2007, at 19:50, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

Thanks Liz. I think that item 4 may need to be modified some. It says, "Final Report will need to be with Council 7 days prior to the meeting to vote on it -- release 1 September (Part A, Part B, draft RFP, draft base contract and draft implementation plan) and meeting 7 September". First of all the Council meeting is on 6 September, not 7 September. (You may have the same problem I have had with the date format in the action table; it looked like 7 September to me as well until I remembered the format started with year first.) Possible rewording: "Final Report will need to be with Council 7 days prior to the meeting to vote on it -- release 30 August (Part A, Part B, draft RFP, draft base contract and draft implementation plan) and meeting 6 September"

Maybe I misunderstood on the call today, but I thought it was mentioned that there would be a comment period before the Council vote. Annex A of the Bylaws, Section 9 reads as follows:

9. Public Comments to the Task Force Report or Initial Report
a. The public comment period will last for twenty (20) calendar days after posting of the Task Force Report or Initial Report. Any individual or organization may submit comments during the public comment period, including any constituency that did not participate in the task force. All comments shall be accompanied by the name of the author of the comments, the author's relevant experience, and the author's interest in the issue.

b. At the end of the twenty (20) day period, the Staff Manager will be responsible for reviewing the comments received and adding those deemed appropriate for inclusion in the Staff Manager's reasonable discretion to the Task Force Report or Initial Report (collectively, the "Final Report"). The Staff Manager shall not be obligated to include all comments made during the comment period, including each comment made by any one individual or organization.

c. The Staff Manager shall prepare the Final Report and submit it to the Council chair within ten (10) calendar days after the end of the public comment period.

This is somewhat confusing to me because the title says "Task Force Report or Initial Report" and because part b refers to the Final Report. We already had a comment period on the Initial Report. Do we now need a comment on the Task Force Report, the one that will be finalized on 10 August according to your schedule? According to a and b, it appears that we do need a 20-day comment period at this time. If that is correct, then the report from the committee needs to be posted NLT 10 August so that the 20-day comment period ends NLT 30 August. Assuming that is accurate, then it appears to me that item 5 in your list also needs to be adjusted:

It now reads, "That means we need to complete the final negotiations of the Committee by, at the latest, 10 August." If the committee does not complete final negotiations until 10 August, it would probably be very difficult for staff to finish the report and post it on 10 August, so Committee negotiations would need to be complete at some point earlier than 10 August. I will leave it to you to determine the date.

I hope this makes sense. Please correct me as needed. But I want to make sure that we fully comply with all requirements and that we avoid any unnecessary delays.

Chuck Gomes

"This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized use, distribution, or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify sender immediately and destroy/delete the original transmission."

From: owner-gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gtld- council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Liz Williams
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:02 PM
To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gtld-council] new TLDs: Updated dates list

Colleagues

Please find below the list of dates I sent around during the San Juan meetings which would have us meeting the deadlines required for LA.

I have added a few more in in italics from the meeting today. If there are any amendments, do let me know.

If we are to have a Board Report ready for consideration at the LA meeting then we, working backwards, need to:

1. Have the Board Report ready and in the General Counsel's hands 11 days prior to the 2 Nov Board meeting -- 22 October

2. Internal sign off and final check 14 days prior to preparation of Board Report -- 8 October

3. 20 day public comment period on GNSO Council Final Report -- allowing time for inclusion of results in the Final Report say 30 days -- 8 September public comment period needs to start. Public comments will be included in the Board Report.

4. Final Report will need to be with Council 7 days prior to the meeting to vote on it -- release 1 September (Part A, Part B, draft RFP, draft base contract and draft implementation plan) and meeting 7 September

5. That means we need to complete the final negotiations of the Committee by, at the latest, 10 August.

6. Release of draft Report with recommendations to Committee -- 30 July

7.  30 July - 7 August -- last call for amendments to the Report

The first 4 dates are fixed in either the bylaws or the board reporting guidelines.

Kind regards.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels
+32 2 234 7874 tel
+32 2 234 7848 fax
+32 497 07 4243 mob

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy