ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Pornographic dot-xxx Domains

  • To: <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Pornographic dot-xxx Domains
  • From: "Desmond Coffee" <2shotlatte@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 22:06:47 -0400

Dear Mr. Lawley,

I would like to express my concerns about ICANN's considering establishing a
dot-xxx domain for pornography for the following reasons:

*       dot-xxx will create an entirely new pornographic realm on the
Internet. Proliferating pornography will not protect children from
pornography. It will only increase the risk of exposure. Pornographers will
not be required to abandon their dot-com Web sites.

*       Creating a dot-xxx domain confers legitimacy to a largely criminal
industry. It's like creating a free-market zone for drug dealers or
prostitutes to operate more effectively.

*       There are state and federal laws already in place prohibiting the
sale or distribution of hard-core pornography, but many Internet sites
currently violate those laws. Will they adhere to the regulations of a
dot-xxx domain, especially without the force of law behind them?

*       Moving pornographic content to a dot-xxx domain might hamper law
enforcement efforts. The problem will be seen as settled and further
ignored.

I urge you not to pursue this issue

Desmond T. Coffee

12 Fairway Drive