ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

the .fra project is in favor of an IDNgTLD

  • To: idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: the .fra project is in favor of an IDNgTLD
  • From: jefsey <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 05:52:24 +0200

Gentlemen,
There is an adminance (technical governance) urgency for an IDNgTLD constituency. It is to deal with natural language and script related issues in order to protect an operational and commercial consistency of the Internet and IDNs registrations. This concerns glossaries, IDNA Tables, technical documentation, reserved words, relations with the IETF, Unicode, test-beds, TM policies, etc.

Because ICANN did not offer that support until now, several solutions had to be considered which could host such lingual cooperation fora. Since the GNSO reform brings this opportunity, I think we should try to make the best of it. Before continuing considering alternative solutions, let try to make that one succeed. IMHO no IDNgTLD can start operating before it has provided a complete dictionary of the current terms its registrants should know to understand its registration terms and support, in the six UN languages. Such a dictionary could be better discussed within such a constituency.

For the time being our own project is ".fra" for a French language top zone. However, this is due to technical uncertainties, concerning a ".français", that the IETF still has to address and solve. This type of difficulty is most probably not be uncommon, we all are aware of that. It would be helpful if they could be coordinated with the ICANN's IETF and Unicode involvement (there are ICANN staff at the IETF WG/IDNABIS) as well as with ISO 3166 reterence document maintenance Agency (of which ICANN is a Member).

Please note that the "Alliance .FRA" is commited to the support of a francophone semantic universe throughout the Internet. Such an universe includes Franophonie partnering languages. So, within our own project, we already experiement the kind of difficlties such a constituency will help to address in a coordinated manner. This is why we certainlydo support this project.

Best regards
JFC Morfin
Chair, alliance .fra
http://a-fra.org