ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

We support IDN gTLD Constituency

  • To: <idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: We support IDN gTLD Constituency
  • From: "Yang Yu" <leo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:27:30 +0800

We strongly believe the establishment of the IDN gTLD constituency is of great
importance.

We consider that any organization, which is engaged in IDNgTLD registration
services or willing to contribute to the development of IDNgTLDs should be able
to join in the constituency, whatever it does, registry, registrar or just do
policy researches.

It is well known that the national conditions in many countries of IDN
community are very different with western societies. Their Industries and
organizations concerning people’s livelihood are usually dominated by the
government. In China, it is hard to imagine that a private company can operate
such a great IDN project without government’s interaction. GNSO can not just
set clear criteria to block the entrance of government or its affiliated
organizations, which means rejecting the entire country’s participation. CONAC
now clarifies itself not a part of the Chinese government, but a non-profit
institution supported by the government.

IDN is the wave of the future with urgent need for deployment. Setting up a
specified constituency will benefit integrating relevant resources, and make
full discussions to find better solutions. IDNgTLD constituency is not just a
good idea for promoting IDN process but a good example of ICANN showing that
people from diverse culture can overcome any difficulties with a common believe.

Sincerely,

Yang Yu
China Organizational Name Administration Center (CONAC)