ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

IDN gTLD constituency - Necessity of Neutral parties

  • To: idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IDN gTLD constituency - Necessity of Neutral parties
  • From: Mark Golan <markgolan44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:03:01 -0400

Dear Sirs,

I wish to bring it to the attention of ICANN, that I and the parties I
represent whole-heartedly concur with the remit and the need of the proposed
IDN gTLD constituency.

However, in appointing members, what is of paramount importance is that a
high degree of due-diligence is undertaken to ensure there are no conflicts
of interests.

As I look at the current proposals submitted, it is clear that there are
already conflict of interests, namely via “DomainTheNet” and “Regtime”.
These two parties have been misleading a generation of internet users by
selling domain names in IDN gTLD extensions in an alternate root - and now
their business is at risk with the proposed legitimizing of these new gTLD’s
in the real root; are attempting to influence policy through membership of
the aforementioned constituency.

We urge ICANN to be vigilant and in striving for the goal of maintaining
unity in the root - ensure that as a pre-requisite, policy makers remain
neutral.
Sincerely,
Mark Golan