ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Concerns regarding URS, Stronger Penalties for Reverse Hijacking attempts

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Concerns regarding URS, Stronger Penalties for Reverse Hijacking attempts
  • From: "Frank Michlick (DomainCocoon)" <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 23:35:36 -0400

Dear ICANN staff, dear community, dear IRT,

While the recommendations of the IRT are initially meant to protect trademark holders for the introduction of new TLDs, it seems obvious that it would be attempted to adopt similar policies for existing TLDs. No matter if for existing or new TLDs, we are against the implementation of the IRT recommendations without any significant changes.

Unfortunately it is obvious from the report, that the team only took the rights of trademark owners into consideration when preparing their report, leaving aside technical needs/requirements, legitimate privacy concerns as well as the existing laws already protecting trademark owners today.

Our biggest concern in the existing proposal is the suggested Uniform Rapid Suspension System (URS). Such a system could affect the stability and functioning of the Internet. The suggested implementation clearly shows a lack of understanding of the technical details of DNS, since DNS does not only serve for resolving websites, but provides many other vital functions for the Internet. Thus the implementation of the URS would pose a big potential for abuse.

A 14 day notification period and a sole notification via email is not sufficient, taking into account potential vacations and current email/spam volumes.

If we are considering a reform of the UDRP and related processes, we must also review the penalties for entities found guilty of potential reverse hijacking attempts of domain names by means of a dispute.

Sincerely,
Frank Michlick
Founder DomainCocoon Inc.
--
DomainCocoon Registry/Registrar Consultants
http://DomainCocoon.com/