ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Price increases and IP rights

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Price increases and IP rights
  • From: Andrew Allemann <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 13:09:35 -0500

Comments regarding proposed renewal with VeriSign for .net:

1. I see no rationale for continued steep price increases for .net domain
names.

2. I'm concerned by the IP constituency's request for additional rights
protections to be added to the .net renewal contract.  Uniform Rapid
Suspension is an untested and unproven model.  We won't understand how well
it works for several years.  I recommend that any additional rights
protections be postponed until a later contract renewal so we know if they
work and what their unintended consequences are.

Regards,
Andrew Allemann