ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Enforcement of Copyright by Verisign

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Enforcement of Copyright by Verisign
  • From: Ryan FitzGerald <ryanmcfitz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:30:46 -0230

Good afternoon,

I have recently learned that the Intellectual Property Constituency has asked
that Verisign be required to enforce copyright issues against .NET domains as a
requirement of its ongoing management duties.

I encourage ICANN to deny this commitment.  International copyright policing is
fraught with misuse, both by file-sharers who fail to respect their country's
IP/copyright laws and by the monolithic entertainment industries lobbying
international governments to use third parties as a cat's paw of their bidding.

While there is debate over any impact file-sharing and other much-maligned
activities have had upon business, any alleged infringement against copyright
should remain an activity to be investigated solely by duly-appointed law
enforcement agencies, not regulatory bodies unbolstered by international courts.

I respectfully request that ICANN refuse to endorse the Intellectual Property
Constituency's request in favour of recommending that grievances be pursued by
other legal recourses where trials, courts and the rule of law will dissuade
more of those spurious suits with which we are all familiar.

Best regards,
Ryan FitzGerald

Mobile: 709.682.NERD (6373) | Twitter & Skype:  RyanMcFitz