ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-general]

DotNet RFP comments

  • To: <net-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: DotNet RFP comments
  • From: "Toni Molodowitz" <toni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:46:25 -0500

I am business owner who deals with network issues for clients both large and
small both from application, operational, and infrastructure perspectives.  I
have read with great interest several news stories on the web discussing the
bidder and the bid process, and have become concerned that politics, not good
technology is going to have undue influence on the process.  Regardless of the
politics, ICANN must make sure the infrastructure we all will be dependent on
is available to everyone "24x7" and will be maintained at a mission-critical,
no-fault level.

As we look back through the internet's history and its expediential growth, it
is clear that poor financing and bad business skills were killers to otherwise
interesting ideas.  Therefore, I believe that ICANN should require the holder
of .net to make their financials regularly available to ICANN for review.
Without actual financial oversight, all other forms of financial reporting are
pointless. It is imperative that the entity receiving this contract be
financially sound so as to avoid a more expensive re-bid down the road, as well
as a loss of service. This contract is much too important to the real-world
business community to be awarded without this information being made available.

I also have some concerns about the vendor selection criteria and process. I
think that it is important that the selection process criteria require that
successful vendor has: true hands-on experience managing a real-time DNS
registry with over 5 million domains; full-time staff who are experienced in
DNS technology, management, operations and policy; proper funding and available
capital resources to keep up and improve the infrastructure; and is in fact an
operationally and financially sound well-run business.  In addition, I think it
is important to release the name of the third-party is who is contracted to
assist in the vendor selection process.

Respectfully submitted,

Antoinette Molodowitz

---