ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-petition-charter]

Approval of the NPOC charter

  • To: npoc-petition-charter@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Approval of the NPOC charter
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:51:19 -0500

To the Board,

I am writing this note as the Chair of the NCSG Executive Committee, though
this is a personal statement that has not been reviewed by the Executive
Committee.

The NPOC proponents have worked with the NCSG to arrive at a charter that
matches the goals of the charter that the NCSG has been proposing for the
Stakeholder Group for the past year.  I am very grateful to them for the effort
they made to fit themselves with the rest of the NCSG membership.  As a
candidate constituency within the NCSG they have become part of the NCSG and
have shown that they are active in the work of the Stakeholder Group and of the
GNSO.

On this basis, I feel comfortable supporting their application for full
constituency status with a single caveat.

I believe that until such time as the new NCSG charter is approved, it would be
inappropriate to approve any new constituencies in the Stakeholder Group as the
old NCSG charter would not allow for them to be properly integrated.
Fortunately, it is my understanding that we are approaching the time when the
Board may be ready to approve the NCSG charter that is based on the bottom-up
charter approved by the NCSG membership and as negotiated with members of the
Board's Structural Improvement Committee.  Hence, I would very much like for
the NCSG charter and the NPOC charter to be approved at the same time and very
much hope that we will be able to celebrate those approvals in San Francisco.

In no event should the NPOC charter be approved before the NCSG charter is
finalized and approved, as this would cause organizational chaos within the
NCSG.

In closing I must say that it is very heartening to see the support this
candidate constituency has received from the Commercial Stakeholder Group and
the ICANN staff, both over the last few months and during the comment period.
I look forward to the day when new constituencies in the CSG, such as the
CyberCafé Constituency that has been seeking an entry point for quite a while
now, receive the same level of support from ICANN Staff and the Commercial
Constituencies.  I think that the Non Contracted Parties House can only benefit
from the orderly addition of new communities, both commercial and non
commercial.

with Best Regards,

Avri Doria
chair, NCSG Executive Committee