ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

[pdp-pcceg-feb06] Regarding Supermajority

  • To: <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Regarding Supermajority
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:53:51 +1100

Hello Ross,

> I would also like to have clarified the meaning of the term
> "Supermajority". For instance, the Registrar Constituency
> bylaws stipulate that only those votes cast will be counted
> in favor or against specific propositions (subject to minimum
> participation levels of course). Given that not all
> registrars are members of the constituency, and that not all
> constituency members vote, this only makes sense - but I'd
> like to better understand the terms of this condition before
> we start down the path of crafting a statement for submission
> to this TF.

Supermajority is defined under section 16 of Annex A of the Bylaws:
""Supermajority Vote" means a vote of more than sixty-six (66) percent
of the members present at a meeting of the applicable body."

If you had a registrars meeting that met the quorum requirements, and
66% voted in favour then that would be a supermajority vote.  There is
no requirement that all members be present.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin