ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] DoC Approved .com Agreement

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] DoC Approved .com Agreement
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:33:07 -0800

On 11/30/06 1:11 PM, "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why continue working on items that are outside the scope?

It's been apparent to me for some time that the interests of the public and
the commercial interests of the registries diverge to such a degree on the
items in this task force, even the scope of the task force, that it makes
little sense to continue working on them together. Since we're never going
to reach unanimity, I'm skeptical about the value of of continuing to debate
procedure, scope, and substance on every point and in every meeting when
it's apparent to everyone that the result of our work, whenever we conclude,
will be two reports, one a majority report and another a minority report. I
don't mean this as a slight to the registries, or anyone else, it's just an
obvious fact that we're never going to reach agreement on a single set of
recommendations.

In light of this, I wonder whether we should simply split some of our next
meetings so we're not taking each other's time debating points that will not
be resolved.

      Bret