ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] DoC Approved .com Agreement

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] DoC Approved .com Agreement
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:40:33 +0100

Hi,

On 30 nov 2006, at 22.11, Neuman, Jeff wrote:

Whether or not your assertion is right (i.e, that the task force does
not address these questions), the fundamental questions I have raised
are crucial to the work of the task force.  Why continue working on
items that are outside the scope?  Ignoring the fundamental flaw will
not make it go away.

Continuing to repeat that it is out of scope does not make it so.
I think that you should take that argument up in another more appropriate venue.

I suppose the Task Force can hypothesize as much as it wants on conditions that it would like to see imposed on registry operators if that is what it chooses to do, but at the end of the day, that discussion will be just academic. It cannot apply to .com and .net or any of the other existing registries.

Again, neither your assertion nor wishing makes it so. And repeating it continuously doesn't make something more true - though it is a familiar polemic technique. Lawyers and the rest of the legal establishment will be responsible for the process of determining when any consensus policy will become applicable to existing contracts. I am not a lawyer, although i grew up surrounded by them, and thus know no law. What I do know is that parties in a case generally are not able to define the outcome of a case with accuracy. All they can can do is argue their case. But the Task Force, and its mailing list, is not a court, and thus is not the place to argue your case about what can and cannot be applied to existing contracts, just renewed contracts, or contracts soon to be reviewed/renewed.

a.