ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] References to Traffic Data Provision

  • To: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] References to Traffic Data Provision
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:25:45 -0500

Thanks Philip.  And on your example, is that prohibited?

Namely, is it prohibited that the grocery store collect that
information?

Put another way, is it prohibited for the grocery store to provide
information to any third party that XYZ product was bought in my store
500 times on Mondays, 1000 times on Tuesdays . . . and 10,000 times
weekly?

I understand if you say John Smith purchased this product 10 times a
year, that is personal information and may be protected.  But what if
you tell the vendor (or even the public at large) that of the 100,000
shoppers we had this week, 10,000 bought XYZ product?  Is that
information protected under the law?

The answer is no.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.