ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

I’m willing to pay for a better product

  • To: revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I’m willing to pay for a better product
  • From: Robert Francis <rjf222@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:42:49 -0800

I want a better product and I'm willing to pay for it. And it appears that
the performance specifications that the settlement proposal now has will
increase the quality of the .com product. If end user latency decreases and
DNS name server availability is 100%, along with better across the network
nameserver performance, then it's worth the money. Even absent better
services, it's worth having higher fees (in my opinion) if doing so will
help reduce squatting. One commenter mentioned that the way the technology
industry works is that over time the price of a product falls even as the
quality increases. Computers or TVs might be this way. But I think that
operating a TLD works the opposite way. More people on the network, doing
more nefarious attacks, means more costs for registry operators.